Monday 5 September 2011

Introducing... Johnny Mikes!

So, following on from meeting the headline guest for EAST PROJECT's 1st BIRTHDAY on Friday 30th September @ CAMP (City Arts & Music Project), we thought we would grab a quick word with our second headline DJ for the night...

Johnny Mikes had a quieter 2010, by his standards, but he seems ready and re-inspired to make 2011 really count!! Having already made a couple of appearances at London's notorious Sunday party CRECHE, and getting himself back behind the production desk, we thought what better way to round off our 1st birthday celebrations than inviting this guaranteed floor destroying Cowboy!

Did someone say, SAMBUCA???

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you are up to at the moment?

Hi I am of course Johnny Mikes. I'm a London based person who plays music using trusted turntables, cdj's and my apple mac. I'm also a producer who's been a regular fixture on the underground circuit for most notably the last eight years. After taking a bit of a back seat in 2010 I've very recently been inspired by some changes and events in my life along with the new breed of DJ's and producers breaking through.

Have you been in the studio recently?

Yes I have indeed. I've been working hard over the last couple of months on my new EP with my good friend Michael Jansons. The first track off the EP 'Broken Hearts' seems to be causing a bit of a stir on the dance floor which I'm super chuffed about.

Once part of the infamous Ninja Cowboys... Are we ever going to see you guys back DJing together again?

Being part of the Ninja Cowboys was an amazing musical and life experience for me. We were fresh faced puppies on the music scene and from humble beginnings we got to play at the best parties alongside the best DJ's in all corners of the world. We managed to have our music on the BBC Radio 1 saturday dance show playlists and received so much praise from all our piers and talents we looked up to which was immense. It was such a fantastic musical journey that allowed us to make some great friends along the way. In the end we naturally went off in different directions. Cozzy D has gone on to co-create the much hyped record label 'Lower East' and also co-promotes London's buzz word party 'Creche'. Mark Storie is with the Toolroom Records family constantly touring and doing some great things there. My path set me away from music for a while to pursue other goals in life, however if you've got a burning passion for music you can't escape the beats. Going back to the original question, who knows what the future holds.

What are your 3 killer tracks at present?

This has got to be the question every DJ is cagey about answering. My current killer three tracks are sacred but there is some magnificent music currently being produced by Gav Memnos & Eric Volta, Michael Jansons and Wildkats, so watch this space.

Your tune in the bag that never fails to get the floor moving, old or new?

Wow there's a fair few in my box of tricks at the moment but i'll go for a bit of an obvious one today in the form of Adonis 'No Way Back'

Favourite dj at present and why?

I would have to say Lo Kee's Nisekay. He is so consistent and has a marvellous ear for music. There's never ever been a set of his that my feet won't groove to.


Its our first birthday tell us what to expect from a Johnny Mikes set these days?

You can't beat the feeling of knowing your making everybody in the room shake a leg, so definitely expect my signature rolling electronic groove inspired by 80's claps, bells and drum machines. I tend not to stick to one musical genre as I'm a firm believer in breaking down genre barriers, so depending on the aura of the evening there will also be a mixed bag of musical treats at the ready. Ultimately my aim will be to have everybody locked on the dance floor from the beginning to end partying their little socks off.

What is your favourite drink?

Favourite drink is currently dark rum and ginger beer, however my buddy that will accompany me from the pre party to the club to the after party to the after after party is my trusted friend white SAMBUCA. Long live the Sambuca.


Event Info:

For further info:
EAST PROJECT Facebook Event Page - click here
EAST PROJECT Facebook Fan Page - click here

No comments:

Post a Comment