Tuesday 22 November 2011

Catching up with Ethyl (Secretsundaze / Tsuba)...

"Hailing from the leafy home counties and connecting with music at a young age, Tim Hopgood AKA Ethyl, displays a musical knowledge and affinity for the groove far beyond his 25 years. Like many of today’s finest, while constantly looking forward, he has one eye placed firmly on the retrospective..." So his biography goes!!


Prior to his appearance at CLUB MO this Friday, we thought we would send over a few questions to the man called Ethyl... We discuss his favourite producers, how his DJing style has developed and the joys of ending up on the Secretsundaze agency. Oh, and how his MO growing is coming along. Enjoy!


How’s it going? What has been going on in the world of Ethyl recently?

It's going really well thanks. I've been the busiest I've ever been recently and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

I’ve known you since some of your first outings on the DJ circuit… How do you feel your style has changed over the years?

"Some of"??? You gave me my first set in the capital all those years ago. A lot has changed since then! You've got a kid and I've got a bad back but I feel I still look for the same things in the music I play. Obviously the content is different, I was younger then but I think the same things still turn me on.

You’ve managed to release your records on such labels as Tsuba, Cecille, Freerange, Quintessentials, Secretsundaze… How does it feel to have your music released on such respected labels?

It obviously feels great to know that people whose opinions matter to me have enough faith in what I do to support it with their reputations as well as their pockets. A lot of people are very keen to get their music out. Arguably before it's 'ripened', so pop up labels make it easy for people to do that. This isn't a bad thing, it's less cliquey but it can mean the quality control drops.

Talking about secretsundaze, you’re signed up to their secret agency. How did that come about? It feels like a perfect match for you, as you seem to share much of the same ideals when it comes to music… Do you feel at home there?

It all came about at the same time as discussions about the label happened. I was sending music to James and Giles and they were talking about the reformed singles label as well as the agency. It works great for me; I'm among people I hold in high esteem and it means I can concentrate on the things I enjoy doing. Since the guys have been doing this for so long, the longevity to what they do is apparent and that's important because I've got no back up plan.


What producers are rocking your world at the moment? Anyone that is not getting the attention you think they deserve?

It's inevitable that the most noise doesn't tend to be around the best producers so there are a lot of people that fall into this category. They are lauded in certain circles but I don't think they get the reverence warranted. Off the top of my head; 7 Citizens, STL, John Heckle, BLM, Kassem Mosse, Vakula and this guy I happened across on soundcloud, William Gebert. But probably my standout producer at the moment is XDB, that guy can do no wrong!

Lastly, many of the DJs and people turning up to Club Mo have donated their top lip for the month of November to growing a moustache in support of The Prostate Cancer Charity… How is your Mo coming along?

It's laughable and rat like and I'm sure I'm allergic to it!

Club Mo - Facebook Event Page



Further info on Ethyl:

Ethyl Facebook Page - Click HERE

Ethyl Soundcloud Page - Click Here

Ethyl - Realism Podcast 001 by ethylmusic

Selected Discography
Ethyl & Huxley - Slims [Tsuba]
Ethyl & Flori - Coney Island Boppers [House Is The Cure]
Ethyl & Huxley - Reflexions [Tsuba]
Ethyl & Huxley - SK Jr. [Development]
Ethyl & Flori - Paisley Riffs [Quintessentials]
Ethyl & Flori - The Trimley EP [Freerange Records]
Ethyl & Huxley - The White EP [Tsuba Colours]
Ethyl & Huxley - The Sassanids EP [Cécille Numbers]

Leif - Priority (Ethyl & Flori Remix) [Fear Of Flying]
Ethyl & Huxley - Mother Tongue (Ethyl's Dry White Edit) [Tsuba]
James Johnston - You're Still The Same (Ethyl's Wheezy Garage Mix) [Kolour Recordings]
Ethyl & Huxley - Byzantine (Ethyl's 2YC Mix) [Cécille Records]

Forthcoming
Ethyl & Flori - Secretsundaze EP
Ethyl & Flori - Quintessentials EP
Ethyl - Vitalik EP

No comments:

Post a Comment