Friday 18 April 2014

Influences... Richy Ahmed!

"Richy Ahmed is at the forefront of a new breed of British DJs, who are re-defining house music taking cues from disco, techno, funk and hip-hop"


Certainly, one of my big influences over the past 4 years and somebody who has really helped define what East Project was all about is Richy Ahmed.

My first encounter with Richy behind the decks was on the dancefloor of a London MuMu party on the 20th November 2010.  We originally decided to go to the night, as Nicola (my now better half) and I are big fans of Geddes and Simon Baker.  At the event, both played really good sets but Richy Ahmed really stood out!

The sound which he brought along was so different and right up the style of music I was missing. I felt the music scene at that time was going through a transition and that year Hot Creations just blew up...

That NYE we saw his once more, this time playing at Mulletover at Great Suffolk Street and he blew us away again!!

This was when I attempted to track him down and play for East Project.  Once we manged to get in contact, we finally booked him to DJ at East Project in June 2011 and that was when I knew the direction my night should take.  He totally changed my sound and what I was playing at the time...

The mix that defines it him perfectly for me is this one:


Production wise, for me the following 2 tracks are the ones that have stood the test of time and still sound fresh today:

And finally this one, shows that he is still on form today!!

Enjoy!!

Gilly (1/2 of Rough Cut) x

No comments:

Post a Comment